Institution: Indian Hills Community College
Location: Ottumwa, Iowa
Salary: 24,600 plus room and board
Indian Hills Community College is seeking a qualified candidate to assist in the leadership of the Men’s & Women’s Track & Field program in the jumps and throws events. The Assistant Coach will recruit and develop student-athletes, assist in the organization of all facets of the Men’s & Women’s Track & Field program, including but not limited to practice and competition organization, travel arrangements, recruiting, scheduling, budgeting and fundraising.
The Assistant Coach/RH Supervisor is required to live in the apartment provided on-campus. This employee will be expected to maintain a work schedule that will maximize contact with students, often before and after scheduled on-call rotation hours. Hours will include some day, evening, weekend, and holiday hours. The Assistant Coach/RH Supervisor is required to be on an on-call rotation and must be available during the following on-call rotation hours to respond to emergency situations. During the week, the Residence Hall Supervisor holds scheduled office hours and attends departmental meetings. There will be some holiday and college break scheduled rotations, as needed.
Indian Hills Community College will transform the future through education and empowerment.
Indian Hills Community College changes lives by inspiring learning, diversity, social enrichment, and regional economic advancement.
Indian Hills Community College is committed to excellence, success, service, integrity, community, innovation, diversity, and inclusion.
Minimum Job Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree required, preferably in marketing, communications, or journalism (Master’s degree preferred).
- Successful coaching and or track and field experience at the collegiate level is required.
- ResLife experience preferred.
- Ability to relate and supervise young people.
- Recruiting experience preferred.
- Understanding of track events.
- Must have good proofreading, organizational, keyboarding, and computer skills, including website/social media communication generation.
- Must relate well with the public and should have the capabilities to work with internal departments.
- Ability to work non-traditional business hours.
- Ability to travel to events as needed.
- Assist in the evaluation of student-athlete performance.
- Travel to recruiting events and away events as needed.
- Under the general direction of the Head Coach, provide individual and group instruction focused on the technical improvement of the individual.
- Participate with the Head Coach in scheduling, organizing and attending practices and competitions.
- Work with Head Coach to develop a high quality recruitment program supported with a written, well defined plan including recruitment, scheduling, contacts and results.
- Assist in the process to recruit student-athletes to meet enrollment goals and expectations for roster each year.
- Assist student-athletes with navigating financial aid, housing, orientation and registration processes.
- Assist student-athletes with understanding the athletic and academic requirements to transfer to four-year colleges and universities.
- Be responsible for the conduct of players both on and off the pitch.
- Responsible for monitoring classroom attendance and academic progress of student-athletes
- Dress, act and represent Indian Hills Community College appropriately at all athletic events, practices and activities.
- Conduct other duties with equal diligence and effort as given to the track program.
- Monitor financial aid packages for all recruits to assure that educational costs are properly arranged for within established guidelines.
- Assist in the organization of a summer Track & Field camp.
- Aid in facility maintenance.
- Keep inventory and maintain equipment.
- Work with head coach to keep statistics, prepare quotes for marketing department for press release and social media releases associated with track & field program.
- Work with Head Coach to meet budget expectations for the Track & Field program.
- Develop and maintain an understanding of all NJCAA, ICCAC and Indian Hills’ policies, procedures, rules and regulations.
- Develops expertise in and enforces College and departmental policies and procedures including student conduct code, gender-based misconduct, and athletics department policies.
- Provides primary leadership, support and supervision, ongoing training and evaluation of performance of assigned staff in area; particularly in the areas of community building, emergency procedures/crisis management, diversity and policy implementation.
- Provides oversight of one of the Ottumwa Main Campus housing facilities as selected by the Director of Student Life.
- In addition to individual supervision sessions, holds regular, team meetings with assigned staff in area.
- Attends departmental and institution meetings/trainings.
- Oversees the leadership development and training of residential education for assigned staff.
- Assists in developing departmental vision, goals, objectives, strategic direction for creating effective student living learning communities to support student success within residential education.
- Upholds college policies and the rights of all members of the community through example, education, counseling, conflict resolution and disciplinary action.
- Establishes and maintains relationships with students through attendance at campus events, informal interactions, and organized programs and workshops.
- Works with the Director of Student Life to locate and assist students in academic and financial needs to locate resources to be retained as successful students.
- Supports Custodians and Maintenance staff in maintaining healthy and safe living conditions within assigned residential environment.
- Encourages staff and students to develop respect for the living environment.
- Provides initial resident guidance, crisis/conflict management and mediation assistance for students. Refers residents to and consults with appropriate resources within the college community in a timely fashion.
- Be first resource for resident students and student-athletes for crisis/conflict management. Able to refer students to appropriate resources in a timely fashion when appropriate.
- Maintains an awareness of student concerns through relationships with Resident Assistants and one on one engagement with resident students through activities and meetings within the residence hall.
- Works with Director, Student Life to coordinate move-in, check-out process of assigned areas. Welcome students and families to campus in a positive manner. Be able to answer general questions about Indian Hills with new students and their families. Facilitate opening and closing of residence halls. Work with Housing assistant to manage occupancy information, key control, check-in and check-out and coordinates room assignment changes.
- Works with residence hall staff to coordinate and conduct health and safety inspections.
- Responsible for enforcing housing regulations and assessing fines when necessary. Develop expertise in Maxient Student Conduct software to assist in tracking Housing incidents and sanctions.
- Maintains ongoing written and verbal communication with college staff, students, and other relevant parties. Completes various reports in a timely manner. Responds to questions and concerns raised by parents of resident students.
- When appropriate, works with Campus Security, Student Development Department, and other departments on Residence Hall issues. Follow up with students, staff and the campus community as appropriate. This may include monitoring the Campus Security phone and responding to concerns across campus.
- In conjunction with other residence hall staff provide leadership and coordination of activities for residents that includes educational programming and continual engagement to develop campus culture.
- Assists in the recruitment, selection, supervision, and evaluation of Resident Assistants. Works with Director of Student Life in providing on-going training of Resident Assistants through planned departmental and in-house staff activities and daily supervision.
- Maintains consistent office hours
- Maintain regular and consistence at work.
- Other duties as may be assigned.
Head Coach, Running Program and Director, Student Life
Certified, Coach – Exempt – Traditional Funding, at will employment on a letter of employment
4 Term, Full Time, Benefits
$24,600 + room and board
NJCAA, Assistant Coach, Track and Field, Horizontal Jumps, Vertical Jumps, Throws, Adminstrative
How to Apply