Institution: Illinois State University
Location: Normal, Ill.
Classification Title: Assistant Mens & Womens Track & Field/Cross Country: Coach
Working Title: Distance Coach
Job Class: #149000
Type of Position: Administrative Professional
Percent Appointment: 1-100
(For Student Employment and Graduate Assistant Only; state hours per week)100% FTE
Department: Intercollegiate Athletics – 07130000
Job Category: Staff
General Summary: The assistant coach is responsible for assisting with various coaching, recruiting, management, and administrative duties of the track & field/cross country program as assigned by the Head Coach. The assistant coach will have primary responsibilities working with distance runners in a combined gender program. The assistant coach is responsible for conducting any duties or activities with integrity and within the rules of the National Collegiate Athletics Association (NCAA), the Missouri Valley Conference and/or Missouri Valley Football Conference (MVC or MVFC), the State of Illinois, Illinois State University, and the Athletics Department.
1. Proven ability to teach and coach fundamentals and advanced skills required.
2. Advanced knowledge of techniques and strategies required.
3. Thorough knowledge of NCAA Recruiting Rules required.
4. Proven organizational and leadership ability.
5. Bachelor’s degree
6. If this position is Security Sensitive or if you are subject to a criminal background investigation based on University policy, employment is contingent upon you passing a satisfactory criminal background investigation. You may not begin work until the criminal background investigation results have been received and cleared by Human Resources.
Desired Qualifications:1. Master’s degree
2. Experience recruiting at the Division I level
3. Experience coaching male and female distance runners
4. Experience with organizing team travel, campus visits, and home meet management; and assist with academic monitoring.
Necessary Licenses/Certifications/Degrees: Bachelor’s degree
Hiring Rate/Range: Commensurate with experience and qualifications
Proposed Starting Date:July 1, 2020
Special Instructions to ApplicantsSpecial instructions to applicants: All application materials must be submitted online. Application materials submitted via fax, email, or mail will not be accepted.
Please prepare in advance separate documents representing a cover letter, reference list (at least three professional references and contact information), and resume/C.V. to attach to this application.
Illinois State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
If you are an individual with a disability and need a reasonable accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) or other state or federal law you may request an accommodation by contacting the Office of Equal Opportunity, and Access at 309-438-3383.
If you are having difficulty accessing the system, please call Human Resources at (309) 438-8311.
Contact information for applicants if they have questions about the posting
Contact InformationClay Gruenwald, Human Resources
Departmental Homepage: www.GoRedbirds.com
Required Applicant Documents
PLEASE NOTE: These documents are required to be submitted online in order to complete the application process. Please have these documents ready prior to clicking on “Apply For This Posting”.
Civil Service Test: Not Applicable
Physical Requirements: Must be able to complete the following with or without a reasonable accommodation:
Effectively communicate with others on a daily basis
NCAA Division I, Assistant Coach, Cross Country, Track and Field, Distance
How to Apply