Institution: Willamette University
Location: Salem, Ore.
Willamette University announces a full-time position for an Assistant Track & Field Coach. The individual in this position assists the Head Coach in the planning, development, and execution of SPRINT/HURDLE/JUMP/MULTI programs and all other activities of the Track & Field and Cross Country Programs; supervises training in specified areas; assists the in the execution of practices, T&F and XC meets, and other competitive and training programs and events; assists in the teaching of principles and techniques to students; and assists with all aspects of recruiting qualified prospects to the university.
The duties and responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to, the following functions, which are not listed in any particular order of importance or significance:
1. Assists with all aspects of the Track & Field and Cross Country programs.
2. Recruits qualified student-athletes for admission to a demanding academic environment.
3. Provides leadership and instruction in the personal and athletic development of student-athletes, including counseling team members in academic, disciplinary and personal matters.
4. Observes all conference, NCAA and university rules and regulations.
5. Teaches the fundamental principles and techniques of Track & Field / Cross Country skills as well as the philosophy of the sport.
6. Projects and promotes an inclusive educational environment.
7. Is proactive in all matters pertaining to safety among staff and participants.
8. Maintains all equipment in a safe and working order; performing and/or coordinating repairs as appropriate.
9. Cooperate with all coaches and administrative staff within the athletics program to enhance overall department operation and student-athlete experience.
10. Other duties as assigned.
1. Bachelor’s degree in a related field or equivalent required.
2. At least five (5) years of collegiate Track & Field coaching experience. Thorough knowledge of all applicable NCAA Division III and Conference rules as they apply to Track & Field and Cross Country.
3. Must be able to successfully articulate the values of a liberal arts education and the role intercollegiate athletics plays in the development of student athletes.
4. Ability to recruit outstanding student-athletes to a strong academic environment.
5. Ability to effectively teach and coach students in both an individual and team setting.
6. Must demonstrate strong communication and organizational skills and must be able to work effectively with staff, faculty and other members of the University.
7. Ability to effectively communicate in English, both orally and in writing, including the ability to communicate instructions pertaining to athletic matters in an athletic coaching setting.
8. Ability to execute those physical activities required to perform the essential functions of the position.
9. Knowledge of and ability to use computers and a variety of software applications.
10. Ability to effectively interact with a wide variety of people in a manner that positively portrays the University and its programs, personnel, and philosophies.
11. Must possess a current driver’s license valid in the state of Oregon or the ability to obtain one within 60 days of hire date and satisfactory driving record insurable by the University’s insurer.
12. Ability to work independently as well as establish and maintain harmonious relations with other staff, faculty and students.
13. Successful clearance of a criminal conviction record check.
How to Apply