Institution: Lawrence University
Location: Appleton, Wis.
The Assistant Cross Country/Track and Field Coach will assist the Head Cross Country/Track and Field Coach with all duties of successfully operating our cross country/track and field programs, including but not limited to recruiting student-athletes, assisting with training sessions/meet preparation/game-day coaching, monitoring the student-athletes academically and managing game day responsibilities. As a member of the athletics department this person will have additional responsibilities assigned by the athletics director.
Lawrence University is a member of the NCAA Division III, Midwest Conference, Northern Collegiate Hockey Association, and Midwest Fencing Conference. Lawrence fields teams in 22 intercollegiate sports with approximately 325 scholar-athletes and is committed to a well-balanced program promoting excellence in both academics and athletics.
Lawrence University is committed to enhancing the diversity of its faculty and staff and the viewpoints and approaches that a diverse community represents. We strongly encourage candidates who can contribute to diversity at Lawrence to apply. All candidates are encouraged to address in their letters of application the ways in which they could contribute to Lawrence’s institutional mission and commitment to diversity through demonstrated experience and/or creative programming.
This position reports to the Head Cross Country/Track and Field Coach and the Athletics Director.
When assisting the Head Cross Country/Track and Field Coach, any and/or all of the duties listed below are the responsibility of the position:
• Plan and direct athletics skill development for student-athletes.
• Recruit student-athletes compatible with Lawrence University’s mission and the specific goals of the cross country and track & field programs.
• Assist in advising student-athletes and staff of applicable NCAA, MWC, and cross country/track and field specific rules, regulations, and University policies and ensure compliance of such regulations.
• Assist the Head Coach in the review of practice.
• Monitor student-athlete academic performance and implement team, Athletics department, and University measures to support their academic performance.
• Meet regularly with the student-athletes about academics and other matters pertaining to their enrollment and educational progress.
• Ensure appropriate safety measures are observed when conducting team activities.
• Cooperate with the University Athletic Trainers to ensure student-athletes receive proper medical and physical training services.
• Coordinate all activities in preparation for scheduled competition.
• Attend all team practices and home and away meets.
• Assume responsibility to student-athlete compliance with all applicable rules and regulations. Assist the Head Coach and the Athletics Director in resolving cases where a student-athlete violates an applicable regulation.
• Work with alumni, student groups, University administration, and community groups to seek support for the team.
• Attend appropriate athletics departmental staff meetings.
NCAA Division III
How to Apply