Institution: Stephen F. Austin State University
Location: Nacogdoches, Texas
Salary: Commensurate with Experience
Job Title: Director – Track and Field/Cross Country
Full Time/Part Time: Full Time
General Job Description
This is a managerial position responsible for the management and administration of all phases of a sports program in a manner that upholds the philosophy and objectives of the Department of Intercollegiate Athletics and Stephen F. Austin State University. Regularly exercises discretion and independent judgment when performing work. Reports to the Director of Athletics with day-to-day oversight provided by the Associate Athletic Director for Student Services and Strategic Initiatives.
Essential Job Functions
- Adheres to all applicable National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA), conference, and university rules and regulations.
- Oversees recruitment and selection of student-athletes. Ensures compliance with NCAA guidelines for contacting and entertaining prospects. Initiates process for determining academic eligibility and issuing National Letters of Intent.
- Provides leadership and instruction in personal and athletic development of student-athletes, to include counseling team members in academic, disciplinary, and personal matters.
- Monitors eligibility status and promotes academic progress of student-athletes. Assists in enforcing study hall attendance. Supports guidelines established by Athletics Academic Services.
- Manages sport program within framework of a balanced budget.
- Oversees selection, purchase, fitting, and maintenance of team equipment, including uniforms, athletic equipment, and supplies.
- Schedules and conducts regular practice sessions in and out of season as permitted by NCAA rules and regulations. Develops and implements strategies for motivating student-athletes to perform at maximum levels as both individuals and a team.
- Arranges competitive event schedule in conjunction with the Director of Athletics.
- Ensures that team travel arrangements are in compliance with university, conference, and NCAA rules and regulations, to include monitoring development of travel itineraries and coordination of travel plans.
- Oversees conditioning and training of team members, ensuring student-athletes are physically prepared for competition.
- Supervises assigned assistant coaches, part-time assistants, volunteer coaches, student assistants, and/or other support staff. Provides orientation, training, and guidance as needed. Conducts performance evaluations and recommends salary increases as appropriate.
- Develops, publishes, and enforces team rules, providing appropriate disciplinary action as warranted.
- Ensures safety of student-athletes and coaching staff through careful monitoring of condition of athletics equipment and facilities utilized by designated sport. Submits requests for repair, maintenance, and improvement of facilities to Athletic Facilities and Equipment.
- Cooperates with all coaches within intercollegiate athletics program to enhance overall departmental operations.
Non-Essential Job Functions
- Compiles data and reports as required by the department, university, conference, and NCAA.
- Provides student-athletes with information on opportunities to compete at approved national and international tournaments, meets, etc.
- Participates in clinics, exhibitions, and camp activities, as approved.
- Assists with approved fundraising activities, as requested.
- Participates in public relations activities including speaking engagements, television and radio interviews, and press conferences, as approved or requested. Represents department at professional, civic, charitable, and alumni events.
- May receive and/or supervise the receipt of payments from students and others for departmentally sponsored activities.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
The individual must possess the following knowledge, skills, and abilities or be able to explain and demonstrate that the individual can perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of, or ability to learn, university policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of, or ability to learn, policies, procedures, and guidelines established by the conference and the NCAA.
- Ability to communicate effectively in both oral and written form.
- Ability to set priorities and complete assignments on time.
- Ability to problem solve a variety of situations.
- Ability to effectively plan and delegate the work of others.
- Ability to maintain effective interpersonal relationships.
Required Education: Bachelor’s degree in a related field is required. Master’s degree is required if job responsibilities include teaching courses.
Required Experience and Training: Five years of related experience is required. Coaching experience at the collegiate level and/or competitive personal collegiate or professional playing experience is required.
Preferred Qualifications: Experience as a head coach at the NCAA Division I level with a proven coaching record is preferred.
Special Conditions for Eligibility
This is a security-sensitive position subject to criminal record check.
This is a safety-sensitive position subject to drug and alcohol testing.
This is an IT-sensitive position subject to Computer and Network Security policy.
Min Pay Rate:
Mid Pay Rate:
Salary Information: Commensurate with Experience
Specific Job Requirements/Duties for this Posting
Is Background Check Required? Yes
Benefit and Retirement Eligibility: This position is eligible for participation in the Optional Retirement Program (ORP), subject to the position being full-time and at least 4 ½ months in length, or the Teacher Retirement System of Texas (TRS) retirement plan, subject to the position being at least 20 hours per week and at least 135 days in length.
EEO Statement: Stephen F. Austin State University, an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer and Educator, is committed to excellence through diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, creed, color, age, national origin, religion or physical or mental disability as required by law. If, because of an impairment or disability, you need accommodation during any part of the employment process, please contact Human Resources at (936) 468-2304.
Posting Detail Information
Posting Number: S2022-076
Candidates Eligible to Apply: Open to all qualified applicants
Number of Positions Available: 1
Posted Date: 05/09/2022
Review Start Date:
Work Schedule: Varies with events; will include nights, weekends, holidays
Open Until Filled: Yes
Special Instructions to Applicants
Stephen F. Austin State University has retained Peak Sports to facilitate the search for this position. Please contact sfa@PeakSportsSearch.com for further information and instructions to apply.
Posting Quick Link: https://careers.sfasu.edu/postings/8464
Contact Name: Ryan Ivey
Contact Phone: (936) 468-4333
Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
* Have you submitted your application through Peak Sports?
- No – (disqualifying)
Documents Needed To Apply
NCAA Division I, Full-Time, Head Coach, Cross Country, Track and Field
How to Apply