Institution: Maryville College
Location: Maryville, Tenn.
Summary: Has full responsibility for the general supervision, recruitment, training and administration of the men’s and women’s track and field program while promoting academic and athletic success. Recruitment of student-athletes for the inaugural 2022-23 season.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Represent Maryville College and the Athletic Department in a positive manner with integrity while promoting its mission and vision.
- Has the knowledge and utilizes effective administration practices of college athletic department policy and procedures and a commitment to NCAA and USA South compliance.
- Establishes good rapport and generates respect among students, campus colleagues, and the local community.
- Finalizes the schedule for their team games; submits schedule to the Athletic Director.
- Provides effective and efficient recruiting; coordinates recruiting efforts through the Enrollment Management, Financial Aid, and Athletic offices.
- Coordinates the issuance and retrieval of all the programs equipment.
- Communicates with the Head Athletic Trainer regarding player injuries, rehabilitative processes, and conditioning practices.
- Monitors the academic progress of each student athlete in their program in conjunction with the academic counselor.
- Coordinates all publications that revolve around their program with the Athletic Communications office.
- Assists with all reports relative to their sport including game and seasonal statistics, season end reports, new records, award recommendations, and other reports deemed necessary.
- Assures accurate bookkeeping on all program related accounts; must file financial reports promptly and accurately.
- Supervises and secures their facilities; promptly reports items requiring maintenance or security attention to the Athletic Director.
- Attends all athletic staff meetings as scheduled and works effectively with other coaches.
- May participate in college-sponsored or off-campus sports camps and coaching clinics with the approval of the Athletic Director.
- Observes student-athletes while they perform to determine need for individual or team improvement.
- Oversees daily practice of student-athletes to instruct them in areas of deficiency.
- Attends all the programs athletic contests.
- Overnight travel is required.
- Represents Maryville College in conference meetings for track and field.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Ability to work well with others.
- Regular attendance is required.
- May be required to work game management on occasion at other home athletic events.
Directly supervises Assistant Track and Field Coaches, Part-Time Coaches, Volunteer Coaches, and Work Study Students. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience:
Bachelor’s degree from four-year College or university; Masters preferred and/or equivalent combination of education and experience. Five to seven years of coaching experience at the college level is preferred.
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations:
Must be current in CPR and First Aid, must pass the NCAA Recruiting Rules test annually.
A valid Tennessee Drivers license is required.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls. The employee is occasionally required to sit; reach with hands and arms; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Required: To be considered apply directly to Maryville College
Maryville College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
NCAA Division III, Director, Head Coach, Track and Field
How to Apply