Institution: MidAmerica Nazarene University
Location: Olathe, Kan.
Salary: $7,500 Annual Stipend + Tuition Waiver
MidAmerica Nazarene University, a premier Christian University located in Olathe, KS is seeking applications for the position of Graduate Assistant Track & Field/Cross Country Coach. Qualified applicants should exemplify the principles, guidelines and covenants of MidAmerica Nazarene University. In addition, candidates should possess leadership skills, demonstrate a commitment to the highest ideals of sportsmanship and academics, as well as developing and maintaining a positive student-athlete experience.
Candidates for the above position should possess a commitment to Christian higher education, model servant leadership and be willing to assume the duties listed in the following general position description.
• Promote the philosophy and objectives of the intercollegiate athletic program.
• Coach student-athletes with primary focus on the middle distance/distance and/or sprints, hurdles and relays or within the Track & Field/Cross Country program.
• Provide assistance with academic goals and objectives of the team.
• Recruit and retain outstanding student-athletes to the MNU Track & Field/Cross Country program who excel academically.
• Represent the athletic department at professional, civic, charitable, and alumni events as requested.
• Other duties as appointed by the Director of Track and Field.
• Successful experience competing or coaching in the middle distance/distance and/or sprints, hurdles and relays.
• Ability to communicate both orally and in writing, in a manner consistent with professional standards, including making oral presentations to groups and contributing to the development of high quality written materials which reflect positively on the University.
• Ability to consistently demonstrate excellent interpersonal skills in dealing with persons both internal and external to the University, both on the telephone and in person.
• The ability to remain calm in crisis situations, to act decisively, and to apply sound judgment in determining appropriate action regarding interventions, assistance and referral of students to other University staff members.
• Ability to prioritize and deal with several tasks concurrently, while maintaining flexibility, high energy, creativity, and attention to detail.
• Ability to quickly and easily get to know many students and the ability to work alternative hours when student issues or programs require it.
• Ability to use new technologies to accomplish team and departmental goals.
• Ability to assist in organizing travel preparations, assist driving vehicles and work a varied schedule which may include night and weekend hours.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
• Bachelor’s degree is required
• Two to five years of coaching experience and/or collegiate participation
APPLICATION: Interested individuals who meet the criteria outlined above should submit all the following documentation to be considered for the position.
1) Cover letter
3) List of professional references (minimum of 3 with phone number and email address included)
4) Statement of faith, including details on how Christian faith impacts coaching (1-page maximum).
Forward the required documentation to Nate Wiens at firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail to MidAmerica Nazarene University, Attn: Nate Wiens, 2030 E College Way, Olathe, KS 66062. Questions may be addressed to the above email address or by telephone to 913-971-3362.
Statement of Faith: MidAmerica Nazarene University is an intentionally Christian Community and desires that all employees in positions of leadership reflect a foundational Christian position in word, attitude and action. While there is no predetermined length or format for the Personal Statement of Faith, the norm is a one or two-page narrative document describing the applicant’s central Christian beliefs, significant formative influences in the applicant’s Christian experience (e.g., religious experiences of conversion or the affirmation of one’s faith, one’s family and/or home life, spiritual aspirations), and ways in which the applicant’s faith is being demonstrated in daily patterns and practices.
MidAmerica is very much interested in reviewing applications from qualified members of traditionally underrepresented groups in America, including women and racial and ethnic minorities.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until position is filled.
MidAmerica Nazarene University policy prohibits discrimination based on race, sex, religion*, age, color, creed, national or ethnic origin, marital status, disability, genetic information, or any other legally protected class in the recruitment and admission of students, in the hiring process, during employment, and in the operation of all university programs, activities, and services.
*Christian faith and employment at MidAmerica Nazarene University: MidAmerica Nazarene University is an expression of the Church of the Nazarene. It reserves the right to prefer employees based on religion (Title VII, Section 702-703, U.S. Civil Rights Act of 1964). Preferred candidates demonstrate a strong commitment to the Christian faith, active participation in a local church, and a philosophy of Christian higher education consistent with the Wesleyan tradition.
How to Apply