Institution: Bluefield State College
Location: Bluefield, W.V.
Job Vacancy Announcement
Head Coach – Men’s and Women’s Cross Country and Track & Field
POSITION TITLE: Head Coach – Men’s and Women’s Cross Country and Track & Field
POSITION CLASSIFICATION/COMPENSATION: This position is Nonclassified, Full-time, carries an Exempt status under the Fair Labor Standards Act, and serves at the will and pleasure of the President. Actual compensation will be commensurate with specific qualifications and experience related to the position. Position is contingent upon available federal grant funding.
POSITION SUMMARY: Reporting to the Director of Athletics, the Head Coach – Men’s and Women’s Cross Country/Track & Field is responsible for providing leadership to develop student athletes and implement a strong, competitive athletic program in their assigned sport while promoting academic progress of student athletes to achieve graduation. The Head Coach is accountable for student athlete recruitment and development, fiscal integrity, fundraising, and for positively contributing to the goals and objectives of the assigned athletic program, the Athletic Department, and the College.
• Teach sports-specific skills toward the development of student-athletic performance, while promoting academic success of student athletes to enhance academic progress and graduation rates.
• Provide leadership for the assigned sports program that adheres to the highest standard of integrity and professionalism, developing and delivering a high quality experience to the student athletes, while promoting excellence of the specific program and the College at all times.
• Foster an environment that promotes the academic success, health, and welfare of student athletes in the assigned program, working collaboratively with administrative offices as may be appropriate. Monitor the academic progress of student-athletes.
• Ensure assigned staff are equipped with the knowledge, preparation and objectives to meet and/or exceed the program and departmental goals. Conduct performance management and provide professional development opportunities for assigned staff.
• Confirm assigned staff, including self, maintains required certifications and necessary training in life saving techniques to promote safety of student athletes.
• Ensure compliance with all NCAA, USCAA, and College rules and regulations.
• Conduct practice, contests and manage day-to-day operations of assigned program. Develop contest schedule and coordinate all team travel for assigned program. Accountable for maintaining accurate inventory of all equipment for assigned program.
• Develop and implement comprehensive recruitment and retention of student athletes.
• Be knowledgeable of and ensure compliance with relevant federal and state regulations, and the policies of the governing board and the policies of Bluefield State College as contained in the Academic Catalog, the Faculty Handbook, the Staff Handbook, and any other practices which are common to the institution.
• Perform the administrative duties associated with the responsibilities of Head Coach, including but not limited to: establishing business and community relationships to solicit support; assisting with marketing the sports program to increase spectator engagement; administering the sport’s budget, forecasting and controlling expenditures; preparing reports; participating in student athlete scholarship activities, and participating in revenue-generating and fundraising goal setting and activities for assigned program, the Athletic Department and the College at-large.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
• Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution required. Masters preferred.
• Coaching experience for at least one regular season (at least 3-4 months), specific to assigned sports program, required. At least two years of higher education coaching experience preferred.
• Commitment to the mission of higher education, student academic success and student well-being.
• Record of personal and fiscal integrity.
• Excellent organizational and strategic planning skills.
• Working knowledge of NCAA rules and regulations and Title IX compliance.
• Demonstrated excellent interpersonal, written and oral communication skills.
• Demonstrated ability to build positive relationships and work effectively with individuals from diverse ethnic, cultural and socioeconomic backgrounds.
• Ability to handle sensitive and confidential information with discretion.
• Ability to meet the extended hours and travel requirements of the position.
• NCAA Recruiting Test Certification (Division II University Portal). NCAA Recruiting Test Certification (Division II University Portal) must be passed within 60 days of hire (required by the NCAA for recruiting).
• Must maintain a valid State Driver’s License.
• Must obtain CPR Certification within 120 days of start date/upon hire, and maintain certification in good standing at all times during employment in this position.
THE COLLEGE: The mission of Bluefield State College is to provide students an affordable, accessible opportunity for public higher education. A historically black institution, Bluefield State College prepares students for diverse professions, graduate study, informed citizenship, community involvement, and public service in an ever-changing global society. More information about the College is available at www.bluefieldstate.edu.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: Completed applications are to be submitted in electronic format only to firstname.lastname@example.org and must include:
1. Letter of interest specific to the position;
2. A completed BSC Employment Application (form available at https://www.bluefieldstate.edu/resources/human-resources/jobs
4. Contact information for at least three professional references; and
5. Transcripts (unofficial transcripts are acceptable for the application process; official transcripts will be required of the selected candidate.
DATE POSTED: March 1, 2021
CLOSING DATE: For full consideration, applications must be received by 4:00 pm EST, Tuesday, March 16, 2021. Applications will be accepted until position is filled; however, applications received after the deadline may not receive full consideration.
Bluefield State College is an HBCU, AA/EOE/ADA employer, committed to the principle that minorities, women, veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. The college complies with all applicable federal and state laws designed to promote equal educational and employment opportunities. Bluefield State College does not provide H1B visa or employment sponsorship.
NCAA Division II
How to Apply