Institution: DePauw University
Location: Greencastle, Ind.
DePauw University is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer: Women, members of underrepresented groups, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
All employees of DePauw University must be vaccinated against COVID-19 or request a religious, medical, or philosophical exemption.
Position will remain open until filled.
Please go to University Profile for more information about DePauw.
The part-time assistant coach for cross country and track and field is responsible for assisting the head cross country and track and field coach in implementing and directing all phases of a competitive NCAA Division III cross country and track and field program at DePauw University. This includes recruiting quality student-athletes, organizing and planning practices and game strategies, scouting, coaching, scheduling, budgeting and planning team travel in compliance with University, conference and NCAA rules and regulations.
Reasonable Accommodations Statement: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Essential Functions Statement(s)
- Understand and comply with NCAA Division III conference and University rules and regulations
- Demonstrate a philosophy that emphasizes academic priorities for student-athletes
- Demonstrate sensitivity to individuals of diverse cultural backgrounds and a commitment to a diverse community
- Along with the head coach, implement a comprehensive recruiting plan for the identification and recruitment of qualified student-athletes
- As directed by the head coach, develop and implement plans and strategies for practices and competition
- As directed by the head coach, schedule games, make transportation and lodging arrangements for team travel
- Assist with managing the cross country and track and field operating budget
- Assist with evaluating program effectiveness
- Monitor student-athletes’ academic progression
- Other duties as assigned by the head cross country and track and field coach and/or Director of Athletics
- Accountability – Ability to accept responsibility and account for his/her actions.
- Analytical Skills – Ability to use thinking and reasoning to solve a problem.
- Adaptability – Ability to adapt to change in the workplace.
- Coaching and Development – Ability to provide guidance and feedback to help others strengthen specific knowledge/skill areas. Willing to receive constructive feedback and make adjustments that support efficiency, effectiveness and overall success.
- Consensus Building – Ability to bring about group solidarity to achieve a goal.
- Diversity Oriented – Commitment to valuing a variety of different experiences, encouraging input and collaboration from campus stakeholders, including being mindful of experiences related, but not limited to: age, gender, race, ethnicity, religion, socio-economic status, LGBTQ, and/or job type.
- Leadership – Ability to influence others to perform their jobs effectively and to be responsible for making decisions.
- Relationship Building – Ability to effectively build positive relationships with students, co-workers, Alumni and community.
- Team Builder – Ability to convince a group of people to work toward a goal.
- Training – Ability to develop a particular skill in others to bring them up to a predetermined standard of work performance.
Benefit Type: Non-Benefit Eligible
Required Supporting Documents: Cover letter, resume
Closing Date: Jul 8, 2022
Education: High school diploma or GED required. Bachelor’s degree highly preferred.
Experience: 0-1 year experience coaching or competing in cross country or track and field required. Must maintain certification in first aid/CPR/AED throughout the entire appointment.
Communication/Language: Basic: Ability to read, listen to and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos. Ability to write and communicate simple correspondence.
Math Ability: Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
Computer Skills: Microsoft Office Suite, Internet, Google Apps, other programs as determined by specific sport responsibilities
Certificates & Licenses: A valid US driver’s license is required. Certification in first aid/CPR/AED is required by first date of appointment and must be maintained throughout appointment.
- Excellent communication skills
- Commitment to and history of strong belief in mentoring students and demonstrated experience working with young adults
- Desire to work in a rural, small-school environment devoted to providing liberal arts education, building community, and helping students prepare for their future careers
NCAA Division III, Part-Time, Assistant Coach, Track and Field, Cross Country
How to Apply