Institution: Penn State University
Location: State College, Pa.
Salary: Volunteer Coach
Penn State University is seeking a highly motivated individual looking to grow in college athletics as a Volunteer Assistant Coach in the sport of men’s & women’s track and field. This position will be voluntary in nature and will not include compensation, but rather the opportunity to learn, assist, and gain experience as a coach.
This position will assist with teaching and instructing student-athletes in the multi-events and high jump. The Volunteer Assistant Coach will also be responsible for helping with student-athletes during on-campus recruiting visits, as well as with retention and academic and personal development of enrolled student-athletes. The Volunteer Assistant Coach is expected to have knowledge of and abide by the philosophy, rules, and regulations of Penn State University, the Big Ten Conference, and the NCAA.
• Assist with recruiting NCAA Division 1 academically qualified student-athletes, this includes: successful completion of the NCAA recruiting test; filing proper NCAA recruiting paperwork; prepare mailings; help organize campus visits; assist with prospective student-athletes during on-campus recruiting visits; and maintain the recruiting database.
• Assist with meet and practice responsibilities for the men’s & women’s multi-events and high jump only.
• Exercise discretion and judgment in implementing instructional techniques designed to develop student-athlete capacities.
• Integrate innovative technology into the instruction of student-athletes to facilitate learning and safety.
• Contribute to an environment that emphasizes academics as a priority, making every effort to ensure that all student-athletes meet academic requirements, while working to integrate sports into the academic life of the University.
• Maintain complete knowledge and compliance of rules and regulations governing intercollegiate athletics while working within the department’s rules, regulations, and policies.
• Assist in the preparation of an annual written plan and goals for the men’s & women’s multi-events and high jump. Also, assist with the annual assessment of performance in relation to their plan and goals.
• Maintain discipline in the program, promote fairness, understanding, and protectiveness of student-athletes while motivating them.
• Maintain an environment of cooperation and continuous improvement. Also, maintain positive communications supporting the athletic program, the University, and University staff.
• Participate in marketing and promotional activities with media, alumni, and civic groups, consistent with the objectives of the athletic program.
• Perform other duties as assigned or requested.
This position serves as Campus Security Authority (CSA) as outlined by the Clery Act. CSAs have federally mandated responsibilities to report crimes that have been reported.
• Relevant competition and/or coaching experience (an emphasis in the multi-events and high jump is preferred).
• Bachelor’s Degree.
• A valid driver’s license.
• CDL Certification (PSU will provide the education and cost of attaining a CDL upon arrival to campus).
• CPR/ AED certification will also be required within one month of start date (PSU will provide training and certification).
• The physical demands described here are representative, but not definitive, of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Requires extended periods of sitting, standing, and walking. Occasional climbing stairs, bending, stooping, reaching, and lifting/moving hurdles.
• Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work Environment/Work Week/Travel:
• Work is performed in both a standard office environment as well as at sports venues. Work is performed during standard business hours, as well as during non-regular office hours to fulfill business needs. The ability and willingness to travel and work nights and weekends as necessary are also required.
We thank you for your interest in Penn State Track and Field. The University was founded in 1855, the campus is in State College, Pennsylvania, with a beautiful view of Mt. Nittany in the background. The community consists of approximately 42,000 people, with friendly neighborhoods, enjoyable recreational and cultural facilities, a low crime rate, clean air, and excellent schools. University Park has an enrollment of over 46,000 students.
For more information on Penn State University, please watch a short video by clicking on the links below:
Campus Drone Tour https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZXU4bbysAI
Morgan Academic Center https://youtu.be/Yi1rnHhwrIA
Volunteer, NCAA Division I, Track and Field
How to Apply
If you are interested and have questions about this posting, please contact Fritz Spence by email: firstname.lastname@example.org or cell: (814) 321-3930.